TRLabs Contract ServicesTRLabs engages with industry on a contract basis for technology development services. As a not-for-profit organization, TRLabs focuses on providing cost-effective, time-efficient, customized service to assist company R&D efforts that facilitate business expansion. Innovation-oriented organizations are able to take advantage of TRLabs' in-house expertise, connections with partners and alliances, and experience in delivering integrated solutions.
Industry investment in development projects has the potential to be matched by at least 1:1 through external research funding sources (e.g. IRAP, Alberta Innovation Voucher Program). Development projects are typically eligible for SRED tax credits.
TRLabs Services Provided
As an organization with a direct channel to tap into the capabilities and expertise of its affiliated academic institutions to complement its in-house researchers, TRLabs is able to tackle virtually any type of ICT-related development project. Development services typically provided include:
- Prototype Development
- Technology and System Integration
- Pre-Commercial Testing and Validation
- Demonstration Environment Access
- Pre-Commercialization Assistance
- Lab equipment access
- Demo hosting for out-of-town companies
TRLabs has innovation expertise in many areas, including:
- Wireless Networking: RF devices, MIMO, encoding and modulation
- Transport Networking: network survivability, availability, design and planning
- Data Networking: QoS, performance, security and switch architecture
- Optoelectronics: optical/photonic & electronic design and instrumentation
- Modeling, Simulation & Optimization: proof-of-concept development, system design and scientific problem solving
- Distributed/Grid Computing: peer-to-peer architecture, mobile agents, distributed system designs
- Software Architecture & Methodology: data mining, user interface, intelligent software, service oriented architecture
- Multimedia & Signal Processing: audio/image/video encoding, processing, visualization, performance and scalability
TRLabs Advantages for Industry
- Technical know-how
- TRLabs technology commercialization experience and business connections:
- Strategic product/project management support (e.g. product evolution planning; technology/product line evaluation; market assessment)
- IP assessment and consultation on IP management strategies
- Business connections to potential partners, customers & investors/funding sources
- IP is fully transfered to the company without restriction upon completion of the project. In certain circumstances if the project is larger, IP sharing can be negotiated to the benefit of the participating company.
- Extensive development and testing experience. TRLabs has completed 53 development projects for industry since 2000, and 100 wireless development and pre-commercialization testing projects since 2002.